Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Winecology: Bodegas Mustiguillo - "Mestizaje" 2002 Valencia, Spain

Tasted this spanish whoppper at a wine bar in my neighborhood - Webster's Wine Bar. I've only been there a couple of times but plan to become more of a regular. The staff was knowledgeable and the ambiance was great for sipping and tasting. The prices seemed in-line with what I've come to expect for drinking wine out in the city; i.e. not the best value for your wine, but being out and about plus having access to a variety of wines by the glass makes up for some of the money not-so-well spent.

On to the wine...it's a unique (to me anyway) blend of 50% Bobal with the balance made up of Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, and Grenache. Bobal is a black grape that produces deeply colored wines. It is grown in the southwest of Spain and is the "star" of the Denomination of Origin of Utiel-Requena.


Parker called it, "a delicious wine as well as an excellent value." And in this instance I have to agree with the man. The wine had a dark ink-like purple color in the glass. The nose was intense, concentrated and in your face straight forward (in a good way it reminded me a little of cough syrup). The complex aromas hinted of spice and black currant. The attack was immediate. The wine had a thick texture in the mouth with anis and raspberry flavors in the finish. Regretfully, it didn't hang around my palette quite long enough.

Rating - 8.5 out of 10
Price - $15 (although I paid about six bucks for a glass)

Unfortunately I'm about a week late for Wine Blogging Wednesday #2 hosted by Alder over at Vinography that focused on Spanish Reds. Learn more about Wine Blogging Wednesday here. Participate in November's Wine Blogging Wednesday (Aussie Shiraz) by visiting here.