Sunday, December 12, 2004

Winecology: Bouvet-Ladubay Rose Excellence Saumur, France NV

In anticipation of New Years Eve I've been sampling sparklers whenever I get the chance. Generally speaking, these wines make a great apertif. Also they can be a fun alternative to beer or vodka tonic in 'da club' with the added benefit of letting you feel like P. Diddy.

I had this Bouvet before dinner last night. It reminded me of the gender neutral Saturday Night Live character, Pat. I really couldn't figure out what this wine was trying to be besides just blah. Things started out well as it had an appealing salmon color in the glass with huge bubbles. But it was downhill from there. The nose was non-existent. On the palette, it had an empty, tasteless effervescence. No finish to speak of. Drinkable, in a pink club soda kind of way.

Rating - 6.5 out of 10
Price - $9 for a glass. Looks like a bottle will run you about the same at retail.